National Coalition to Abolish Death Penalty (NCADP)
The National Coalition to Abolish the Death Penalty (NCADP) is the only fully staffed national organisation exclusively devoted to abolishing capital punishment in the US. NCADP provides information, advocates for public policy, and mobilises and supports individuals and institutions that share its unconditional rejection of capital punishment.
NCADP’s commitment to abolish the death penalty is rooted in several critical concerns:
– the death penalty devalues all human life;
– it is fallible and irrevocable ;
– it continues to be tainted with race and class bias; and
– it is a violation of our most fundamental human rights.
NCADP considers that the abolition of the death penalty will result from a multi-faceted approach. Accordingly, it organises its work around four core areas:
– Legislative advocacy – working with policy-makers and their constituencies to adopt legislation in opposition to the death penalty at the local, state and national level;
– Media advocacy – expanding the public’s critique of the death penalty using primarily local and state media outlets from which most Americans get their news;
– Grassroots advocacy –assisting our affiliates in organising activities in opposition to the death penalty and in reaching out to communities to speak out against the death penalty;
– Human Rights Advocacy – spotlighting the death penalty as a violation of human rights and gaining the support of the global community to abolish the death penalty in the US.