Kenyan Section of the International Commission of Jurists (ICJ-KENYA)
Mandate and goals :
– To develop, strengthen and protect the principles of the rule of law in Kenya. – Develop, maintain and protect the independence of the judiciary and the legal profession in Kenya.
– Protect and promote the enjoyment of human rights in Kenya and Africa.
Kind of actions :
– Legal research and analysis.
– Citizen empowerment and sensitization.
– Capacity building.
– Impact litigation.
– Monitoring evaluation and reporting.
ICJ Kenya has organised consultative forums with other civil societies working on abolition of death penalty in Kenya, capacity building workshops for Judicial officers and members of the Parliamentary Caucus on human rights on the international human rights principles and the proposed sentencing policy guidelines.
ICJ-Kenya has participated at the world congress against the death penalty and is a member of the east African regional coalition against the death penalty. Participation at the Human Rights Council Review in Geneva on 25th January 2015. Participation at the East African Judges and Magistrates Conference held in Zanzibar in 2013.