Preventing the return of the death penalty
While the progress of the global abolitionist movement seems irreversible, some abolitionist in law or abolitionist in practice countries are threatening to return to the death penalty and resume executions. Since 2018, the World Coalition has been campaigning globally to systematize a response to these risks of reinstating the death penalty after its abolition.
The focus of the World Coalition has been so far on the Maldives, the Philippines, Sri Lanka and Turkey. While the actions of this campaign have been focused on these 4 countries, the results and the best practices can be applied to any country considering a return to the death penalty or legally sanctioned executions.
Building Civil Society Capacity in Countries at Risk to Prevent the Reintroduction of the Death Penalty and the Resumption of Executions
- Carrying out studies on specific countries in which the death penalty may return, for example on Turkey
- Organization of trainings according to need
- Creation of advocacy tools, such as these ones for the Maldives and the Philippines
- Financial support to civil society organizations in target countries, for example in the Philippines in 2019 and 2020
Coordinate and strengthen abolitionist action to support the work of local civil society and deepen its impact
- Coordination of working groups for all member and partner organizations to better monitor ongoing risks
- Advocacy at the United Nations and regional human rights bodies, including by submitting reports and following up for the Philippines and the Maldives
- Mobilizing on World Days Against the Death Penalty (10 October)
- Assess the risk of returning to the death penalty: https://worldcoalition.org/threat-levels-of-the-resurgence-of-the-death-penalty-based-on-key-indicators-drawn-from-the-project-experience/
- Make sure you and your organization are safe and check out our "Helpful Hints and Advice on Online Harassment" tool
- Work together to create a network of local people and organizations willing to work on the death penalty in your country. Work with existing NGOs and international institutions
- Identify your targets and allies (NHRIs, Parliamentarians)
- Create and disseminate information (brochure Philippines, Maldives...)
- For added value in your anti-death penalty work on the international scale, consider becoming a member of the World Coalition Against the Death Penalty.
Share the campaignShare the campaign