World Congress Against the Death Penalty
The World Coalition and its members have taken part in the preparation of the Congress’s academic programme. Read more about key issues debated by the participants:
- Video: “Love and compassion” rather than the death penalty – Murder victim’s grandson
- Chinese lawyers hailed as “heroes for justice”
- Tackling resistance to abolition in Africa
- European Union regrets difficulties in dialogue with Belarus
- Shedding light on judicial blunders can help achieve abolition
- North Africa and Middle East between progress and frustrations
- New defense manual to help lawyers in capital cases worldwide (UPDATE: download the manual)
- Call for world lawyers to unite against the death penalty
- Linking the death penalty and torture to achieve abolition
- Asian progress paves the way for new strategies
- After abolition: what alternative to the death penalty?
- Small progress against the execution of minors
- Video: India executions are politically motivated – Navkiran Singh
- Video: UN rapporteur alarmed by death penalty situation in Iran
- Two perspectives on assistance to foreign nationals facing the death penalty
- NGOs: how to work with international bodies?
- Teaching abolition: educational resources
- World Coalition elects new decision-making bodies
Follow the Congress as it happens with our live feed below:
The 5th World Congress is organised by the French association Ensemble contre la peine de mort (Together Against the Death Penalty – ECPM) under the sponsorship of Spain, Norway, Switzerland and France and in partnership with the World Coalition Against the Death Penalty.
The 5th World Congress against the Death Penalty is also financially supported by the European Union, the International Organization of the Francophonie, the Governments of Germany, Sweden, Australia, Argentina and Luxembourg, the Principality of Monaco, the Paris Bar-Solidarity Fund and the Ile de France region.