Under the supervision of the Director of the World Coalition, the consultant will be required to:
– Plan the programme of the two-day training session to be held late April in Sub-Saharan Africa (place and date to be confirmed) based on a consultation with members and partners of the World Coalition in Sub-Saharan Africa.
– Work with World Coalition members to identify good practices and obstacles encountered by civil society for the abolition of the death penalty in Africa and for the adoption of a protocol to the African Charter on Human and Peoples’ Rights on the abolition of the death penalty.
– Identify speakers and participants and follow-up with them, unsure a smooth running of the program.
– Compile all the data collected and speakers’ points in a handbook for members before the training session.
– Facilitate the training session with the members of the World Coalition.
– Present the final version of the training manual end of April 2016 based on comments and feedback obtained during the session.
– Demonstrated experience in the field of training, and preferably in a national, regional, or international NGO in the field of human rights;
– A university degree in political science, international relations, international human rights law or education;
– A good understanding of the NGO sector in Africa;
– Well-developed communication and drafting skills;
– Perfect knowledge of either English or French, spoken and written, and working knowledge of the other (interaction with both French and English speaking African civil society members will be necessary);
– Good judgement, as well as good organizational skills and an ability to be diplomatic;
– Able to work in a team environment;
– Proficient in the use of the internet and Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint…);
– Knowledge of the topic of the death penalty is desired.
Contract for a period of two months (March – April 2016).
Remuneration is negotiable depending on qualifications and experience.
The person will be preferably based in Sub-Saharan Africa.
Schedule (to be reviewed with the selected candidate):
21 January: Launch of the job offer
26 February: Deadline for candidacy
29 February: Analysis of candidacy, interviews and selection of the consultant
Between 1 and 10 March: Consultation of members and partners
Between 10 and 30 March: Definition of the program, identification of speakers and preparation of the training manual (validation of the structure of the manual with the director)
Between 30 March and 15 April: Presentation of a draft manual that will be distributed during the training
Late April: Animation of the training session in Sub-Saharan Africa
30 April: Presentation of the final manual from the comments and feedback obtained during the session
The application must be received by the World Coalition (contact [at] worldcoalition.org) before 26 February 2016 with:
– A cover letter
– A CV
– Contact details of two referees specifying for each: name, surname, title, email address and a phone number.
– A note on methodological proposals and comments for the training session
Interviews are expected to be held during the last week of February 2016.