The World Coalition Against the Death Penalty, an alliance of more than 150 NGOs, bar associations, local authorities and unions, was created in Rome on 13 May 2002. The aim of the World Coalition is to strengthen the international dimension of the fight against the death penalty. Its ultimate objective is to obtain the universal abolition of the death penalty. The World Coalition gives a global dimension to the sometimes isolated action taken by its members on the ground. It complements their initiatives, while constantly respecting their independence.
1. Defining, managing and evaluating actions, campaigns and projects:
World Day against the Death Penalty:
– Production and dissemination of information and mobilization tools
– Production and dissemination of specific tools for specific target countries
– Coordination of events organized all over the world
– Social Media Campaign
– Support for the activities of member organisations in target countries
– Promotion of events with experts related to the theme
– Initial training with all project partners
– Participation in the ordinary sessions of the African Commission on Human and People’s Rights the NGO forum
– Organisation of advocacy missions in target countries
– Organisation of advocacy missions to the African Union
Countries at risk (Maldives, Philippines, Turkey):
– Training of civil society in each target country
– Production of tailored mobilisation tools
– Monitoring of regional and international human rights mechanisms
Barbados and the Easter Caribbean:
– Follow-up of UPR with partners
– Follow-up of the project with Greater Caribbean for Life and the Death Penalty Project (Speaking Tours, Newsletter…)
2. Support for coordination of international advocacy (protocols, moratorium, joint submissions…)
3. Support for the general coordination of the World Coalition (Steering Committee and General Assembly)
4. Developing publications
– Monitoring of the various publications and reports and strengthening the links with various service providers (authors, translators, external consultants, designers, printing companies, etc.).
– Minimum 5 years of professional experience in the field of human rights (preferably in a national, regional or international NGO)
– Knowledge on the subject of the death penalty is desired
Skills and training:
– A university degree in political science, international relations or international law and human rights;
– Fluent in English and French; third working language would be preferable
– Ability to work in a team and independently, discipline, attention to detail, ability to prioritise;
– Availability to travel abroad.
– Salary based on qualifications and experience (gross salary: from 2,500 € per month)
– Other benefits: contribution to the costs of transportation (50%) and meals (60%) Health Insurance
– 35 working hours per week according to French law
– Long term permanent contract
– Based in the Paris region (France)
The application must be sent in English or French to the World Coalition by email at email@example.com (Ref: Program Manager) before 15 November with:
– A cover letter
– A curriculum vitae
– Contact information for two references (please include full name, function, e-mail address and telephone number)
Interviews will be conducted during the week of 26 November 2018.
Contract expected to start on 2nd January 2019, the latest, for a handover period of at least 2 weeks with the current Program Manager.
The World Coalition is signatory to the Charter of Diversity.