World Coalition elects new Steering Committee and Executive Board for two years
The World Coalition Against the Death Penalty held its first 100% virtual General Assembly on 18 June 2021 to elect its new Steering Committee.
In total, 20 organizations were elected for an effective 2-year term (June 2021-June 2023):
– Anti-Death Penalty Asia Network (ADPAN)
– Paris Bar Association
– Capital Punishment Justice Project (CPJP)
– Moroccan Coalition Against the Death Penalty (MCADP)
– Mauritanian Coalition Against the Death Penalty (CMCPM)
– Nigerien Coalition Against the Death Penalty (CONICOPEM-Niger)
– Tunisian Coalition Against the Death Penalty
– Colegio de Abogados y Abogadas de Puerto Rico (Puerto Rico Bar Association)
– Comunità di Sant’Egidio
– Culture for Peace and Justice (CPJ)
– Ensemble contre la peine de mort (ECPM)
– International Federation of ACAT (FIACAT)
– International Federation for Human Rights (FIDH)
– Foundation for Human Rights Initiative (FHRI)
– Iran Human Rights (IHR)
– Parliamentarians for Global Action (PGA)
– Syndicat National des Agents de la Formation et de l’Education du Niger (SYNAFEN Niger)
– Taiwan Alliance to End the Death Penalty (TAEDP)
– The Advocates for Human Rights (TAHR)
– Witness to Innocence (WTI)
This assembly was also an opportunity during the statutory meeting to adopt the agenda, the activity report 2020, the financial report 2020, the action plan 2021, the provisional budget 2021 and the modification of the bylaws with the increase, for the next elections, of the number of elected members of the Steering Committee to 25 organizations.
As part of the General Assembly, the World Coalition has, throughout the day organized various workshops and online training. The panel on the death penalty for minors was an opportunity to condemn the execution on June 16, 2021 of Mustapha El Echeikh, sentenced to death for a crime committed when he was only 17 years old in Saudi Arabia, and to call on this country to stop all executions of minors in accordance with its international commitments.
The newly elected Steering Committee met on June 30, 2021 to elect the new Executive Board which is now composed of:
– Amy Bergquist (The Adocates for Human Rights), Vice President
– Anne Souléliac (Paris Bar), Treasurer
– Annemarie Pieters (Communità di Sant’Egidio), Vice President
– Connie Numbi (Foundation For Human Rights Initiative), Vice President
– Matthew Goldberg (Capital Punishment Justice Project), Chair
The World Coalition welcomes the successful work of its General Assembly and Steering Committee despite the challenges of the pandemic.