Caribbean Conference – The Death Penalty in the Context of Public Security: Neither Right, Nor Effective
The conference will be the perfect time to :
– Hear Prominent Caribbean & Worldwide Abolitionist Speakers at Plenary Session!
– Participate in Lively Workshops!
– Listen to Testimonies from former Death Row Inmates!
– Listen to Testimonies from Representatives of Hope Support Group – the Healing/Transforming Ministry of Crime Victims!
– Witness the Official Launch of the Greater Caribbean for Life!
FREE Attendance, Register NOW!
PROVISIONNAL AGENDA – Tuesday 1st October 2013
9am- Opening remarks
– Leela Ramdeen, Member of The Greater Caribbean for Life & Chair of The Catholic Commission for Social Justice (TT)
– Dr Lloyd Barnett- Declaration of Intent – on behalf of The Greater Caribbean for Life (Jamaica)
– Carmelo Campo Cruz, The Puerto Rican Coalition against the Death Penalty
– Mariana Nogales, World Coalition against the Death Penalty (Puerto Rico)
9.30 am – 11.20 am: Plenary Session: Stop Crime, Not Lives
Chair: Mariana Nogales, Greater Caribbean For Life, Puerto Rico
– Mr. Richard Blewitt, UN Resident Coordinator/ UNDP Resident Representative
– Sophia Chote, SC, Vice-President of the Criminal Bar, TT
– Sir Clare Roberts, former Attorney General and Minister of Justice and Legal Affairs for Antigua and Barbuda, member of the Inter American Commission on Human Rights until 2009, Antigua and Barbuda
– Horace Levy, University of the West Indies, Kingston, Jamaica; researcher on urban violence; Coordinator of the “Peace Management Initiative”, Jamaica; and author of: Killing Streets and Community Revival
Cultural entertainment: Ray Holman, musician, composer, pannist
12.00- 12.45 Testimonies
Chair: Mario Polanco, Greater Caribbean for Life (Guatemala)
– Andrew Douglas, former death row inmate, now lifer, TT
– Rev. Ruth Gwenolyn Greaves and 2 or 3 women from Hope Support Group, her healing ministry in TT for mothers of children who have been killed through violence.
– Selwyn Strachan, former death row inmate (Grenada)
13.45 – 15.00 First workshop: How to build and mobilize civil society, including youths:
Chair: Dr Lloyd Barnett (Jamaica)
– Carmelo Campos Cruz (Puerto Rico), member of the Greater Caribbean for Life & The Puerto Rican Coalition against the Death Penalty.
– Ms. Fenella Wenham (Dominica)
15.00 – 16.15 Second workshop: Theme: Communication strategies
Chair: Elsworth Johnson, President, Bar Association, Bahamas
– Kevin Baldeosingh, Journalist, author and member of the Media Association of Trinidad and Tobago
– Rev. Peter Espeut, journalist (Jamaica)
16.15- 17.30 Third workshop: How to improve the administration of justice
Chair: Gregory Delzin, Attorney at Law
– Pamela Elder, SC, President of Trinidad and Tobago’s Criminal Bar
– Carmen Aida Ibarra, Grupo pro Justicia, Guatemala
17.30-18.00 Closing remarks
– Leela Ramdeen, Member of The Greater Caribbean for Life & Chair of The Catholic Commission for Social Justice.
Conference organised by:
Greater Caribbean for Life, in partnership with:
Puerto Rican Coalition Against the Death Penalty
The Catholic Commission for Social Justice
World Coalition Against the Death Penalty
Community of Sant’Egidio